Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 80003260
Historic Name HUGO HISTORIC DISTRICT
Description of Significance FOUNDED IN 1901 AT THE INTERSECTION OF TWO BRANCHES OF THE FRISCO RAILROAD, HUGO GREW TO BECOME A MAJOR SHIPPING CENTER IN SOUTHEAST OKLAHOMA. LUMBER AND AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS WERE THE DOMINANT INDUSTRIES. THE COMMERCAIL DISTRICT OF HUGO SOON GREW AROUND THE HOTELS THAT CATERED TO TRAVELERS, AND THE BUSINESSES, BANKS, AND OTHER ENTERPRISES UTILIZED BY ALL. THE DISTRICT CONTAINS OVER 50 BUILDINGS REPRESENTING THE EARLY IMPORTANCE OF HUGO. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 11/12/80.
Current Name
Address ROUGHLY BOUNDED BY A STREET, JACKSON, 2ND STREET, AND JEFFERSON.
City HUGO
County CHOCTAW
Lot
Block 97, 98, 101,102, 111, 112
Current Section
Township
Range
Type DISTRICT
Historic Function COMMERCE
Current Function COMMERCE
Area Signficance 1 COMMERCE
Area Significance 2
Date Prepared 1979
Year Built 1901-1920
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder N/A
Architectural Style COMMERCIAL STYLE; ITALIANATE; CLASSICAL REVIVAL
Roof Material
Wall Material BRICK; STONE
Window Material WOOD; METAL
Door Material WOOD; METAL; GLASS
Decorative Details
Condition
Comments LISTED ON NATIONAL REGISTER 11-12-80
Restricted N